Friday, January 27, 2006

Valuable

I want to do something valuable with my time and my life and my professional training. I've been thinking about some schools for students who are blind overseas which would like volunteers. I would love to be able to see another part of the world and how things work there - I just feel very ignorant about the whole thing. And the last thing on earth I would want to do is to think that I somehow have all of this magic information that is better than anything they have. I have to give it lots of thought and figure out how I would really like to go about things. I suppose that realizing my ignorance is a good first step.

I've heard it many times: "Oh, you teach blind kids... that's nice. Must be very rewarding." And it is, but they're still kids. They can still drive you crazy, and there aren't a whole lot of days when I feel as though I'm changing the world. Especially today, I guess. Not that I think going somewhere else will change the world, but it will change the way I see it.

No comments: