Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Freckled retina

An image of my fully functional right retina. How amazing is it that this is an actual photograph of my retina? I got a copy printed out so I can show it to my students when expalaining how the eye functions. There is a small freckle on my retina (just like a face freckle, only an interior one) just below my optic disc. That's the white bit - it's also what creates the blind spot that you have. Eyes and sight are so fabulous. And accommodating for the loss of vision is such a huge challenge. We take in 70% of the information about the world around us through vision. Having that sense compromised changes everything.

3 comments:

Timothy said...

Lucky! I want a picture of my retina also! By the way, to keep spammers from advertising their junk on your blog, change the comments setting on your dashboard to enable word verification.

Sherrie said...

Thanks, Timothy! I was just trying to figure that out.

Unknown said...

I was googling "freckled retina" (I have one in each eye) because I was told by my VA optomitrist today that they (the freckles) can be a precursor of cancer. You do not mention this, which leaves me to wonder if you have any information about this for yourself.

Ken

PS: Please, for your cat's sake, get him on a diet.