Friday, May 25, 2007

garden party

These are the tiniest daffodils ever (a little less than an inch across), and I adore them. We have two stems and a total of 5 cute daffy faces.
The japanese cherry tree is getting ready to bloom! It's kind of like magnolias - the only trouble is that the blooms last for such a short period of time.
The tulips are still in full swing. This was taken just as they were finishing closing up for the night.
One of the stripey tulips with one petal yet to be tucked in.
Lily of the Valley are everywhere and lovely!
Yipeeeee! Peony buds!
And I just noticed this evening that the very edge of the yellow tulips is red, of all things.
And the bleeding hearts are bleeding away.

No baby G has arrived yet, but there's enough activity in the garden to fill a post! Along with taking pictures in the yard this evening, we also planted some veggies this morning at The Shire (pumpkins, squash, and cucumbers) so hopefully those will grow nicely. And I took a nice nap on the hammock this afternoon while Adam worked away in the yard. My feet were pleasantly de-puffed afterward! I'm excited to drain out after baby arrives.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I'm not the only one with water bags masquerading as feet? I'm so jealous - I have one week of work left, and it feels like forever.

Looks like Yarmouth gardens are about a week ahead of Halifax. My peonies are up, but no buds yet, and I have tomato, cucumber, and zucchini seedlings that I haven't dared plant out yet - we had three frost warnings this week. I think I may chance it this weekend, so I don't end up having them shrivel away while I'm delivering a baby.

Sherrie said...

Thanks for commenting! I hope your last week of work flies by and your feet have a chance to settle down. Mine are puffy even when I get up in the morning now, hopefully it won't get any worse! (My fingers are crossed for you, too!)

We were lucky in the frost department - we didn't have the same warnings this week. I think we're zone 6b down here and in Halifax you're 6, if I'm not mistaken, so it's a little milder. I wanted to get things planted early, too - you could always cover the seedlings if it called for frost, I suppose. Good luck with your baby! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm finding raspberry leaf and nettle tea helps a bit with the swelling. As much as anything does at this point, anyway ;)

I hadn't heard about the Shire project, that's really interesting. I don't know about you, but I can't WAIT to be able to do some gardening without feeling like I'm dragging myself around. I'm sure it will be better once I'm done work...

Best of luck to you too, I hope all goes smoothly with the birth.