Saturday, May 05, 2007

placemats

I found this material awhile ago for super cheap at Fabricville, and bought enough to make both a sling for me and baby G and a set of fun placemats. This morning's project was the placemats. I made a set of six. I just realized I didn't take any pictures of the back - it's a plain grey-green sort of colour. I'm using that material to make a sling for Adam, today or tomorrow. It's a perfect day outside, so I might end up in the hammock swing today instead of sewing.

The reason the placemats look so lumpy-bumpy is because I have a ridiculous aversion to ironing. Honestly, I haven't used the iron since we moved into this house (2 years ago) and possibly since we moved to Yarmouth (which would make it 3). Pretty much any other household task I can handle, I just despise ironing. So I don't do it, and we're not too much worse off because of it. As long as things are hung promptly, we're relatively wrinkle-free. These sewing projects, though, could admittedly use a once over. But I'd rather read. Or cook. Or file my nails, or...

8 comments:

ingrid said...

The placemats look great! You did such a good job.

Bobbiann said...

Your placemats are very nice. I didn't know you sewed; I like making little projects like that too.
I have recently discovered a way for me to like ironing: I listen to my podcasts at the same time and it makes ironing SO much faster and more enjoyable.

Sherrie said...

Thanks very much! I'm really happy with how they turned out, and it was so easy! I like practical, useful, quick projects. You're probably right - if I had a good ironing set up near the radio or computer, I would probably be more inclined to iron. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not even sure where the iron is... :)

Hungry Janey said...

Oh my goodness! I scored the same material off the wall at Fabricville. Such a good find :)

Sherrie said...

That's hilarious, Jane! What did you do with yours? :)

Hungry Janey said...

I haven't done anything with it yet. I am a bit of a fabric hoarder...I just buy without any real plans and save it until a light bulb goes on over my head. I may copy your placemat idea because the green in the material is really similar to the colour of our kitchen!

Sherrie said...

Feel free, copy away! The easiest sewing project ever. :) Post pictures if you do make some!

Markissaearle said...

Ma goodness! These are incredable! I love your placemats! Iknow you say here that they are easy to make, but I think some people in this world are blessed with being able to sew and then some of us have to left arms? I am one of those people when it comes to sewing...but still yours look GREAT!