Wednesday, October 12, 2005

LadyComp

Allow me to introduce you to LadyComp, my best friend for the past 3 years and 5 months. It is a birth control device which doubles as a pleasant sounding (and cool looking) alarm clock. It is 99.3% accurate, completely natural, and it is perfect for me! By taking your waking temperature (sticking the thermometer under your tongue) every morning for 30 seconds, LadyComp's computer knows when you're fertile and when you're not. Each morning, you're told if it's a red day (no sex if you're looking to avoid a baby), a yellow day (proceed with caution - I know a very cute baby who arrived because of yellow-day sex) or a green day (go ahead without any other protection because you're infertile!) It's much more reliable than traditional charting, and couldn't be easier to use. What's also very cool about it is that if you are interested in becoming a parent, you can just switch things up and know that red days are when you're most likely to conceive. There's even flashing red for ovulation. There is also a product called BabyComp which is specifically designed for people who want to conceive. (As far as I can tell, they took LadyComp and added a few lights.) And they now have something called a Pearly, which is a mini LadyComp that runs on a battery (great if you're travelling a lot). LadyComp does come with a battery pack, but the battery pack is not recommended for long-term use. Good for camping, though. I can't say enough good things about it! I don't have to take the Pill (I have many issues with the Pill) so my cycles are natural rather than synthetic ones, and it's just amazing to know what's going on with my body.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have been using this for 3 years? I have been taking the Pill and I too have issues with it and this is the first thing that has caught my eye as an alternative. Its not too complicated? Its expensive so I just want to make sure its worth it. Thanks

Sherrie said...

Yes, it has been (to be precise) 3 years and almost 6 months that we have been successfully (meaning no babies!) using LadyComp. It is a bit pricey initially, but there are no additional costs afterward. So... it costs about 570 Cdn. If I was taking the Pill at about 30 dollars a month, in about a year and a half, I would have LadyComp paid for. And yes, it is SO worth it! It will take a bit of time after you go off of the Pill for your cycles to regulate themselves (because the Pill gives you a synthetic cycle) and it takes a bit of time for LadyComp to have enough temperature information to narrow down your green and red days so you have as many green days as possible. But it will never give you inaccurate information (at the very beginning, you'll get a lot of yellow days, which means it's gathering information.) You should definitely use a barrier method during the transition time while your body sorts itself out. Hope that's helpful - I'm glad to answer any questions, I'm so pleased with it. They should be paying me for all of my promotions! :)

Sherrie said...

As far as complicated-ness goes, once you go through the manual to figure out how to set the alarm (no more difficult than a regular alarm clock) and take your temperature (fool-proof) you're all set. The alarm rings at the time you set it for, you press the middle button once and stick the thermometer under your tongue. It beeps when it's done (20 seconds, maybe?) and you're all set. I'm usually half asleep when I'm taking it, and it works every time.

Anonymous said...

That's so helpful. Thank you so much. Your right it would be paid for in a year and a half. I appreciate your input. When I took a quick questionaire on the LadyComp website they asked where I got my info and I listed your site, so who knows....a check may be on its way! :) Thanks again, Emily, MN

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...Well it could just be a good option, but...how many green days are there every month? ;-)

Sherrie said...

Thanks for asking! The number of green days depends on the average length of your cycle. My cycles are usually 34 days, and I generally have about 19 green days and 14 or 15 red days. If your cycle is shorter, you might not have that many green days in a row, but you will have them more frequently. Hope that helps, Sherrie

Anonymous said...

Thank you, your reply was very helpful! And you don't get any yellow days anymore? After the device "learns"how to read your cycle, you get only green and red lights? Thank you again for the information!

Sherrie said...

As far as yellow days, once LadyComp knows your cycle, you will get one yellow buffer day on either end of red/green days. So... my cycle (starting with day one) is green days usually until day 10, then one yellow day, then red days until day 24 or 25, then one yellow day, then green again through the start of the next cycle. :) Keep the questions coming! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for posting all that you have... My question is, once you have a green light, say in the am, until what time in the evening/night is that green light considered valid? Thanks!

Sherrie said...

I think that the green light (or any other colour light) is valid until midnight, or the end of that day. :) That's a great question, you might want to e-mail one of the companies who sell it to make sure.
Sherrie

Anonymous said...

Hello Frenchy,
I am so happy to have found you, I have been looking into getting the ladycomp for a while now and am happy to see you are happy using it!
My question is...if I cant sleep or wake up to use the bathroom in the nite does it still work?

Anonymous said...

hi,
what about the 7 red days the ladycomp site talk about? When does it happen if you are still having 14 red days after 3 years?
Thank you

Sherrie said...

You can contact them directly with specific questions; I would guess that there might be a lot of fluctuations with your cycle? I think they can give you a printout of your charted temperatures; that might be helpful. Good luck!