Monday, June 23, 2008

ants + peonies = ?

Can someone explain to me why the peony buds are always covered in ants? Always! Okay, I couldn't wait for a response, so I googled. Apparently the buds secrete nectar which ants are attracted to, and once the blooms open, the nectar (and ants) are gone. There you go!

As long as there aren't any ants in my pasta salad, I'm happy. This is a very simple and delicious summer meal. We usually use whole wheat pasta, but had white on hand, for some reason. Anyhoo, toss in some cubed cheese, frozen peas, green onion or chive, and whatever else you like. Mix up a dressing of a blop of mayo, salt, pepper, a splash of olive oil, parmesan, and lots of garlic powder, mix, and voila!

2 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Your pasta salad looks amazing! It seems like a great recipe for entertaining and I love the idea of using whole wheat pasta for a lighter dinner.

Goatmeal_Crisp said...

This reminds me of Eric and Katrina's favourite childhood meal -- frozen peas and processed cheese slices. Carol loved it because it took about 5 seconds to prepare and had some nutritional value.