Tuesday, November 04, 2008

cranberry upside down cake and fish sandwiches

Have you noticed the lack of quality pictures here lately? It's been getting darker progressively earlier for weeks, and our time change was on the weekend. And it's just getting bright when I'm on my way out the door in the morning. So picture-taking light is hard to come by during the week. I think I'm going to try taking my camera with me more as I travel around for work, so I'll get some more photography in, and get to know my new camera.
This is the Cranberry Upside-Down Cake from Great Food Fast, which I made on the weekend. It was delicious, but the berries didn't pop and become soft and beautiful and melty like the picture accompanying the recipe. Only around the edges. The berries in the middle were just kind of whole and surrounded by unmelted, wet granulated sugar. But the cake was well done when I took it out of the oven, and I didn't want to overbake it... any suggestions? Ingrid suggested cutting the berries next time so more juices are released. Or maybe a lower temperature for longer? Would that dry out the cake?
Also from Everyday Food, Adam made these Fish Po' Boy sandwiches on the weekend. Amazing. The kitchen smelled pretty terribe for the rest of the day, but they were worth it. And the tartar sauce would be delicious with any white fish.

2 comments:

Austen said...

Instead of playing around with the temperature, I'd be tempted to cook the berries first. What about lightly greasing the pan, then combining the remaining 2(ish) tbsp butter with the sugar and 1 or 2 tsp water in a saucepan over med-high heat until melted. Then put the berries in and boil briefly until the berries pop and the sauce reduces slightly. Pour that into the cake pan, then spread the batter over top...that might work. I'm no baking scientist, though, so no guarantees! ;)

On the upside, you'll get to eat more cake!

Sherrie said...

That's a very good plan, Austen - I'll try that and let you know how it works! Thanks!