Friday, January 26, 2007

wintry wonderland at 21 weeks




It has been very chilly today (-14, -25 with the wind chill) with snow and blowing snow. It's too cold for salt to work on keeping the roads clear, so the streets are snow covered and pretty messy. I love how the frost is forming on our front screen door. I cancelled my visits with students for the day and hunkered down in the office. Apparently even as close as Shelburne, the roads were clear, but down here it's been a mess.

My paperwhites have opened! Well, started to. I like how the picture above turned out. They smell very strong, but it's not an entirely bad scent. The amaryllis with the flower stalk is growing rapidly; no sign of flowers on the other two. No changes to report on the hyacinth in the cupboard.

I cleaned off my desk and hung some things on the walls in the now-shared office space upstairs after work this afternoon, and it feels very good to have a clean desk.

And in baby news (how could I not put something up about the baby?) we had a regular clinic checkup yesterday morning which was fine. I've gained 2.5 pounds (I think it's funny that they use pounds for all of these official medical records, while Canada has been on the metric system for a long time!) and we heard the baby's heartbeat again (still very regular and strong and lovely sounding). I'm 21 weeks pregnant today, and the baby is listening to what we say, weighs about 3/4 of a pound (imperial!) and is about 10.5 inches tall. My belly feels very big today... I expect it will only get more pronounced as time goes on! I also got some cloth diapers on ebay which I'm pretty excited about. I'll definitely post pics when they arrive!

1 comment:

Sherrie said...

Thanks, Shana, that's great. I'll be sure to check it out. :)