Sunday, April 15, 2007

today in the garden

Adam and I spent the morning out in the garden, and it was splendid, if a little chilly. My big project was to thin out the raspberry patch, which was surprisingly easy (especially since they're thornless raspberries). It looks a thousand times better, and it should also help their productivity along - Marjorie Willison says that a dog should be able to run through an appropriately thinned patch. My question is, how big is the dog?
The snowdrops are still out, and the first ones that appeared are starting to look a little bit worse for the wear. The Lily of the Valley leaves are popping up EVERYWHERE, and I can't wait for them to bloom. I love to bring a few indoors to enjoy.
And this alien-looking growth (it reminds me of a crustaceous claw or something) is a peony sprout! I kind of forget over the winter how exciting it is to see things grow. I transplanted another peony plant last summer (it was lost amidst the aforementioned raspberries) and I'm not sure how it will fare - apparently they don't like to be moved and protest by not blooming for a few seasons. We'll see, I guess! The next project which should be done very soon is to dig up the rhubarb clump (which is quite a monster) and separate it for replanting. Last year the stalks were really skinny and anaemic looking, and Marjorie says it's from overcrowding if the plants have been in the same place for several years (which these have been). So I might have to go knocking on doors this spring to get my rhubarb fix if ours doesn't produce! I can't imagine not being able to make Roxanne's Rhubarb Custard Pie. I'll post the recipe when I have rhubarb and make it. It's amazing.

Oh, and the reason I keep mentioning Marjorie of Maritime Noon fame? Adam bought me an early anniversary gift which I've been coveting - a copy of her latest book (formerly called something or other almanac) The East Coast Gardener from Nimbus! It has already been tremendously useful, and we only started 'digging in' (tee-hee) to it last night!

No comments: