And then we went to Frenchy's. Can it get much better than that? I found a few sweet things for Phillip, and some fabric for a thingy I'm planning to make for our newly re-done bedroom.
The original coffee cake recipe is here. It's super quick to whip up, and tastes delicious! We decided that it would be very good with berries mixed in, or served on top. And of course, it's best served with a hot drink. Here's the recipe for a lovely visit:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender to the size of small peas.
- In a separate small bowl, beat the egg well, then stir in the milk and vanilla. Add the egg-milk mixture to the flour mixture all at once. Stir carefully until just blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Drizzle top with melted butter.
- In a small bowl mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle on top of cake. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.