Thursday, March 20, 2008

hummus, bread receptacle, and who really owns organic foods


We love hummus, especially with these cute little pitas from the Fancy Lebanese Bakery in Halifax (they don't seem to have a website). I made a batch this afternoon, and it's delicious. Here's the recipe, from 1000 Vegetarian Recipes.

Hummus
1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or canned, drained)
3 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp vegetable oil (I used olive)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp salt

Mix together in blender or food processor (I used my stick blender - not the one I make soap with!) Enjoy with pita bread, as a sandwich spread, on crackers or Melba toast... mmmm!


I had been keeping my eyes peeled for some kind of bread receptacle (not one of those ubiquitous rubberwood boxes) at Frenchy's, and last night I realized that I already had the perfect thing, which came from a lovely lady on Freecycle (I also picked up a waffle iron from her, which I love!). It's this great enamel pot, made in Yugoslavia. Perfect size, perfect everything.

Lastly (but definitely not leastly), would you like to know what big companies own the organic brands you buy? In this month's issue of Good magazine, there's a great chart which provides that information. You can see it here. The only trouble with it, as Adam pointed out, is that it only goes so far - for example, it tells the reader that Kraft owns Boca, but not that Philip Morris (definitely NOT who we named our Phillip after!) owns Kraft. Still helpful when making purchasing decisions, though!

No comments: