Friday, March 28, 2008

sprouting squash and quinoa (KEEN-wah)


I had never cut open a squash to find several sprouted seeds inside, until today. It's currently roasting in the oven, mmmm.

And this is what Phillip and I had for lunch - it's organic quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah), which is quite similar to couscous. I mixed mine with chopped tomato, olive oil, lemon juice, parsley and a bit of salt and pepper to make a sort of tabouli. Phillip had his plain, along with some sweet potato. It's a good source of protein, and has a nice, plain flavour. Delicious!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sigh . . . I've been pronouncing quinoa "quin-OH-ah". This is why I point to foreign items on the menu to ensure I get what I want (and not just confused looks!).

Frenchy's Finds. The blog that educates!

Jai and Lauren Soloy said...

Hello! Happy Birthday! Hope you guys are having an excellent day :)

I thought it was so funny that you had a thing about quinoa, because I have been researching it for a little while, and last night was looking at ordering seeds for it from Saltspring seeds. Apparently it's fairly easy to grow, and really pretty, too. I've never actually tasted it, so I was glad to see that you enjoyed it - now I'll definitely try it out!