Sunday, December 07, 2008

*sniff* *blowing of nose* *sniff*


I still don't know if we're going to get a 'real' tree this year. This may turn into our tree. It's a few branches from our Quince, strung with a sweet beaded garland. I had a beautiful, simple, modern picture in my head, but now that it's together, it looks a bit too much like cobwebs on the branches. I think the addition of a few ornaments might be called for. More pictures to come.
A better picture of the tealight thing I posted last week.
And we do have a green tree; a tiny little Norfolk Pine. It's on the kitchen table, and when P notices it, he says "kiss-masss... tee!"

I have a cold. Ugh. The kind where my head is completely plugged and fuzzy, I'm constantly blowing my nose, and I generally feel disgusting. And it's been pouring rain all day. Not terribly festive.There. I feel better already.

I had hoped to get some Christmas cards done this weekend, and I still might this evening. I got a few batches of soap made yesterday while P was sleeping, and had a little rest this afternoon. I was perusing an amazing book for awhile, too - Birth: the surprising history of how we are born by Tina Cassidy. I enjoy history - not so much details of wars and conflicts, but how daily life and events differed from what we know today. This book is brilliantly and extremely well written, completely fascinating and objective. I must say that I've read about half the book (beginning in the middle), because I was only borrowing it from the library for one particular section. I started and couldn't stop. Now that's a high recommendation, coming from me. And speaking of birth, congratulations to J&J in New Brunswick who welcomed a new son into the world yesterday! Babies are the best.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry you have a nasty head cold! I hope you'll be over it very quickly...bring on the garlic chicken soup!

My in-laws had a lovely little Norfolk pine which I always liked better than full-blown Christmas trees. I think the "cob-webby" strands look ethereal and beautiful!

Heidi said...

So sorry about the cold...blech. Gotta hate those. I'll have to check that book out. I love history about day to day life. You knew that of course, since we share the same brain.

I found a fantastic documentary by the BBC called Manor House. For 3 months a group of volunteers lived life in Edwardian times on an old English estate. I probably shouldn't admit this, but I watched the entire 6 hours in one night ;0P Frontier House was done in the states and also amazing...

Goatmeal_Crisp said...

You could always recreate my fishing-themed tree. Classic!

Hungry Janey said...

Thanks for the congratulations! I clicked on amazon link for the book, and now I have to check if our library has it...