Tuesday, April 07, 2009

recipe-a-week #13: slow cooker chicken with tarragon and leeks


I'm back! With a fantastic recipe this time. I made this recipe from the current issue of Real Simple (shouldn't it be 'Really Simple'? Or 'Real, Simple'?) magazine last week, and it is fantastic. Really, truly, delicious. And you know how I feel about slow cookers! Actually, I was surprised by a good recipe in Real Simple. I had a subscription for awhile, and found that most of the recipes were a box of this and a can of that somehow equals a 'recipe'. Regardless, this one's a winner! As in, you should go out and buy the ingredients this minute and have it for dinner tomorrow.

Chicken with Tarragon and Leeks

1 1/2 pounds baby potatoes (about 16)
8 small skinless chicken thighs (1 1/2 pounds) (I actually threw in a whole local chicken I had, but it would have been more manageable with the pieces)
3 leeks (white and light green parts), halved lengthwise and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup dry white wine (I had some white cooking wine on hand, so I used that)
salt
10 ounces frozen peas
1/3 cup heavy cream (now you know why I like it!)
1 tbsp fresh tarragon (I couldn't find this, so my version was more 'Chicken with Leeks'.)

Place potatoes on the bottom of a 4-6 quart slow cooker. Add chicken, leeks, wine, and 1 tsp salt.

Cook, covered, until the chicken and potatoes are tender, on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 6-7 hours.

Transfer the chicken and all but 4 of the potatoes to a plate. Using a fork (I used a wooden spoon since I didn't want to scratch my slow cooker), smash the remaining potatoes into the cooking liquid to thicken.

Add the peas and cream and cook until just heated through, 3-5 minutes. Spoon over the chicken and sprinkle with the tarragon.

You'll enjoy this one for sure!

8 comments:

ingrid said...

That sounds super yum.

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan of my crock pot. :)

And yes, you're right: it should be "Really Simple" or "Real, Simple". I love a grammar geek!

Sarah C said...

This is going on my "Must Try!" list! And the current trend of leaving off the "-ly" is a personal pet peeve of mine. Kudos for catching it here :)

Bobbiann said...

I love leeks. That recipe sounds real good.


;-)

Stephanie said...

I've been toying with trying this recipe and I think I'll go ahead and make it on your recommendation!

Anonymous said...

I missed this when you first posted it, but came here from Alli's recent post. :)

You're right: grammatically, it should be "Really Simple", but they're going with the more roll-off-the-tongue colloquial expression. It annoys the grammar cop in me, but I forgive it because it's, like all of Martha's publications, such a terrific magazine.

After our next butchering session, I'll have to try this too! We're out of chickens in the freezer right now. :}

Anonymous said...

OMG, I had a senior moment, confusing Real Simple with Everyday Foods. Ugh...luckily, I don't think anyone else will be reading my comments. ;)

Sherrie said...

No problem, Teresa! :) I understand completely!