Tuesday, April 14, 2009

sewing

How exciting! I picked up this table at the Superstore yesterday. I'd had my eye on it for awhile, but since the regular price was $129 and I didn't want to pay that much, I waited. And it paid off - yesterday, I paid $40 for it. Now I can sew downstairs while Phillip is sleeping, without having to unearth all of my sewing things from the corners of the house.Last night, I whipped up this tote from Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing. It took me less than an hour, and I like it! The main fabric is those Frenchy's curtains, and the other two were picked up at La Shoppe Vert. I made the straps longer than the pattern called for, since I wanted to be able to wear it on my shoulder, and next time, I'll add in a lining, as well.

And speaking of sewing...
Go pick up the current issue of Canadian Living! There's a fantastic pattern in there for these simple "His and Hers Travel Mates". Don't you adore that fabric combination? And the boxy shape? I do!
Oh, and wait! Whose name is at the top of the page? Austen Gilliland. Wait a minute, didn't she win some soap from me a few weeks ago? Yes, indeed!
Her name's at the beginning of the magazine, too. I feel like I know a celebrity. It's a great pattern, Austen, and I can't wait to make one! Or two, or three.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How very cool...about your great table buy, about your bag (I can't believe you whipped that up in an hour...I can barely get myself to hem my pants today), and about the Austen coincidence! :)

Austen said...

Sherrie, thanks for your kind words! I can't wait to see how it (or they) turn out. They make great Christmas/birthday/going away presents (and if you're a knitter, they'd be just right for holding a sock-in-progress.

(Oh, and I love that table. What a score!)

Jac said...

Cute bag! I love the fact that it's so easy to whip up a bag like this and yet so much nicer than shop bought, especially as you have the satisfaction of knowing you've made it!