Monday, February 26, 2007

i simply remember...

my favourite things! I baked and cooked up a small storm on the weekend (frittata, blueberry muffins, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, baked beans), and kept thinking about how much I love my pantry. Our house is 120 (ish) years old, and the pantry is definitely one of my favourite features. Especially when it's sunny and I'm working away in there. The drawer pulls are très old and lovely, and the jars on the counter contain most of the standard baking goods - whole wheat and white flours, Speerville Mills oats, bran, etc. They're very handy, and I like how they look, lined up and ready for action. And the storage space is wonderful!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you get those containers? I love them, they're big enough for entire packets of things. Don't you hate those those little canisters that will hold a half a bag of sugar?

Love your pantry too, jealous of all the space. We've got a kitchen reno somewhere in our future, and in the meantime we're stuck with a very crowded, badly designed kitchen. Our house is about 70 years old - apparently they didn't as much space by then?

Sherrie said...

Thanks, Anna! The jars are indeed very handy - an entire small bag of flour fits in one. Teeny canisters are extremely silly, in my opinion. These ones are from my mother-in-law's basement and a yard sale - I think they were pickle jars or mayonnaise or something like that. I'm not sure how old the kitchen / pantry section of the house is... it was built after the main other part of the house, but it's still pretty old. Good luck with renos! :)