Monday, September 15, 2008

modified fruit fly trap

Is there anywhere where fruit flies don't appear at the end of the summer? I just might decide to move there, thanks. I originally posted a fruit fly trap idea here. The only trouble came from the smarter fruit flies who figured out how to get up through the funnel. So I came up with a more effective idea (I think I came up with it; I may have read it somewhere). I just took a glass jar, put a bit of cider vinegar in the bottom (you could also use a fruit scrap) and stretched a piece of cling wrap tautly over the jar opening. I then poked several little holes in the plastic wrap with a toothpick. The fruit flies can get in, but they can't get out.

Keep the gross thrift store stories coming for a chance to win the Gap bag! Only two days left to comment here!

7 comments:

Raegan Belliveau said...

I'm really happy that other people have fruit flies in their homes. They make me feel so dirty some how. lol

Teresa R said...

Our fruit flies have outsmarted the inverted funnel traps too. I'm going to try your nifty idea; I'm getting pretty desperate.

Petra said...

Too funny... we made the same trap a couple days ago - except we used red wine and fruit scraps. Since then Jamie is counting the flies....

Teresa R said...

When I looked this morning, there was one lonely ff in there. Another was hanging on the edge, but not going in.

Austen said...

I keep waiting for the fruit flies I left behind in Halifax to figure it out and show up in my kitchen, but so far, so good. I guess that's one thing that Toronto's got going for it! I'd love to see someone's face when they ask me how I like the city and if I told them, "It's great here, there are hardly any fruit flies." Not exactly the kind of ringing endorsement people around here are looking for. ;^)

Amber said...

What a great idea! I am totally going to give your trap a try next time I pick up our produce.

Teresa R said...

'Nother update (sorry...you must be tired of hearing from me) - the trap has caught at least 10, if not more fruitflies. Woohoo! It's working better than anything else I've tried (it could also be the grape muss I put in the container...). Thanks again.